Saturday, February 27, 2010

I want to sell my computer, what is the best software to clear everything off of it so it runs like new?

I don't really want to just download software I'd like to buy one from like best buy or something, but I want my computer to be just like it was when I first bought it, none of my information left on it or anything. What is best? The only thing I can find is wipedriver 5.0...


Oh and I don't have my start up disks so I can't use that. I want to sell my computer, what is the best software to clear everything off of it so it runs like new?
You can contact the manufacturer for a restore disk, which is usually cheaper than the alternatives.





I would recommend formatting the drive (if the restore disc will work after a clean format) to help clear your data off of it, or using a stronger wiping software that will re-write incoherent data overtop of yours, and then reinstalling the computer operating system with the restore disk.





You can also sometimes find restore disks for common makes of computers on Ebay, just make sure it is for the correct model. I want to sell my computer, what is the best software to clear everything off of it so it runs like new?
Get yourself a knoppix CD and run DD on your hard drive:





dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1M





where /dev/hda is the correct unix device :-)
Wipe Drive 5 is the best tool to do the job, I recommend you use that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment